Issue: National Endowment for the Humanities
The National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) provides direct grants to museums, universities, archives, and libraries in support of research, education, and preservation. Due to high demand and extremely limited funding, NEH is only able to fund a small percentage of the proposals it receives. The agency also provides annual grants to state humanities councils in every state and U.S. territory. NEH received $162.25 million in FY 2020 appropriations and $167.5 million in FY 2021 appropriations.
- We urge Congress to provide $135 million in supplemental COVID-19 economic relief grants and at least $225 million in regular FY 2022 appropriations for the NEH.
Supporting Letters and Testimony
- FY 2018 Senate Interior Testimony
- FY 2018 House Interior Testimony
- FY 2017 Senate Interior Testimony
- FY 2017 House Interior Testimony
- FY 2016 Senate Interior Testimony
- FY 2016 House Interior Testimony
- FY 2015 Senate Interior Testimony
- FY 2015 House Interior Testimony
- November 2013 Letter on NEA/NEH Support