Issue: Charitable Giving
Charitable giving is the lifeblood of museums of all sizes and disciplines; it accounts for more than one-third of their operating funds. We support efforts to extend and expand incentives for charitable giving. Limitations on these incentives could have a chilling effect on the ability of museums to attract donations needed to serve their communities and protect their collections. We urge Congress to:
- expand and make permanent the universal charitable deduction, which was established on a limited and temporary basis in the CARES Act. It allows taxpayers to deduct charitable contributions regardless of whether they itemize.
- extend the CARES Act provision that allows individuals to deduct up to 100 percent of their Adjusted Gross Income through charitable gifts.
- support the Legacy IRA Act (S. 243), allowing seniors to make tax-free distributions to planned giving accounts as well as to charities.
- exclude the charitable deduction from any proposals to reduce the value of itemized deductions.
- support the Artist-Museum Partnership Act, allowing artists to get a tax deduction when they donate their own work to museums.
Supporting Letters and Testimony
- Charitable Giving Coalition Submits 2017 Testimony to Senate Finance Committee
- Alliance Joins Coalition Letter Thanking Senators Thune and Wyden for Introducing CHARITY Act
- Joint Nonprofit Letter Opposing IRS Gift Substantiation Regulation
- Joint Letter Urging Congress to Act on Permanent Extension of Charitable Tax Provisions, Including Several Museums
- National Nonprofits Urge Congress to Renew Charitable Tax Provisions
- Alliance Joins Coalition Letter to Presidential Candidates in Support of Charitable Giving Deductions
- Alliance Joins Coalition Letter to Senate Finance Committee Working Groups
- Hundreds of Museums Join November Letter in Support of IRA Rollover
- Alliance Joins Charitable Deduction Letter to Rep. Paul Ryan
- Over 220 Museums Join Open House Letter in Support of IRA Rollover
- Alliance Joins Open Letter to House Ways and Means Committee (IRA Rollover)
- Alliance Joins IS Letter in Support of IRA Rollover
- 33 Senators Sign On to Letter to Protect Charitable Deduction
- Hundreds of Museums Join Charitable Deduction Letter
- Alliance Joins Letter to Senate Finance Committee
- Alliance Joins Coalition Letter to the White House
- Alliance Joins Coalition Letter to Senate Budget Committee
- Alliance Testimony on Tax Reform and Charitable Contributions
- Alliance Joins Statement to House Ways & Means Committee
- Ford Bell’s Testimony on Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Alliance Joins Letter Opposing Limitations to Charitable Deduction
- Alliance Joins IS Letter Supporting Preserving the Charitable Deduction