Museum Assessment Program (MAP)
Special Opportunity for Previous MAP Participants!
Has your museum participated in a Museum Assessment Program (MAP) assessment during the years 2014 to 2020? Would you like a low cost follow up visit with your original Peer Reviewer?
Follow Up Visit Request Forms for the Follow Up Visit Opportunity must be submitted by September 1, 2021! Check out the Follow Up Visit Opportunity page for more information.
“…I cannot express the difference this [second] visit has made. We were able to show our peer reviewer the progress that we had made in six months and for her to reinforce some of the lessons from the first visit has made a huge impact on our project…I cannot thank AAM enough for this opportunity. I feel so fortunate to have had this second chance… The first visit was amazing, but the second visit was truly needed to complete this project and for us to have a successful museum. Thank you again.”
Since its inception in 1981, the Museum Assessment Program (MAP) has helped more than 5,000 small and mid-sized museums of all types strengthen operations, plan for the future, and meet standards.
Through a one-year process of self-assessment, institutional activities, and consultative peer review with a site visit and recommendations, your museum emerges with:
- Greater alignment of activities, mission, and resources
- Analysis of its strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities
- Prioritized roadmap for improving operations and meeting standards
- Practices benchmarked to standards
- Enhanced credibility with potential funders and donors
- Improved communications between staff, board, and other constituents
- Expert advice, recommendations, and resources
- Increased capacity for strategic planning
- Preparation for core document verification, accreditation or reaccreditation
MAP offers five different assessments to choose from:
- Collections Stewardship
- Education & Interpretation
- Community & Audience Engagement
- Board Leadership
This year’s MAP application period for the year-long assessment closed on February 1, 2021. The next application deadline will likely be February 1, 2022.
MAP also offers a special Follow Up Visit Opportunity for museums who have participated in a MAP during 2014 to 2020 with their original Peer Reviewer. Applications must be submitted by September 1, 2021.
MAP is supported through a cooperative agreement between the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the American Alliance of Museums.